Followers

Wednesday 1 August 2012

Cooling my Heels

Well may be the fact that it took me an additional 24 hours to get home should’ve alerted me to what was in store for the next few days
I spent the Friday either signing bits of paper, doing school runs, food shopping, or dropping the family car (Rhonda the Honda) off at the mechanics… the cool bit was that Dan got to have a ride in a cab & we all walked home from Benny’s school which is something that I hadn’t done since Alissa was going there all those years ago!
Unfortunately, the only “real” activity available was house fixing & Gardening…  as a quick phone call to Gary the Auto Upholsterer lead to the rather bad news that his mother in law was just diagnosed with cancer thus he is not upholstering at the normal rate of delivery. I thought that this was a pretty reasonable excuse to have a low priority job put back; I said the bike is “few” months away, so there isn’t a huge pressure to have it on the road.
As for the frame, it is still at the sand blasters awaiting Bonk’s mastery to unleash his inner sole… looks like I will be away when he gets his clean & priming done (according to Dear Ol’Dad anyway!)
I really did just wanted to play with something cub-ish, & to be honest, I’d rather not play with the carburettor until I know what else I need to purchase for the engine re-build (that way, in the worst case, If it gets beyond me, I can take the whole kit & caboodle down to the OJ Honda dealer & get them to fix it!).
I was feeling un-cub-ed!
On the up side, the council park at the bottom of our street was planted with native plants (over the last 2 years), it was started as a green volunteer thing, & has successfully transformed a bland piece of grass into a burgeoning bit of sub-urban bush.
I was there at the start of this project, however, due to work commitments, I have missed every others working bee on it. Anyway, I missed the latest working bee about 2 months ago, which was a mulch spreading job.
Unfortunately, there were only about 6 people at the working bee & so the day was rather unsuccessful & as such, the piles of mulch had stayed pretty much where they were dumped. Trish from next door had given one pile a bloody good working over. It was too much for one woman alone; so with a complete lack of cubness in my life, I grabbed the boys & headed down to go forth & mulch.
Before, note the pile of bark chips that are behind the kangaroos in the park

The civic pride was overwhelming, & despite this, we kept on going & by Tuesday afternoon we had completed the rest of the planted areas
All Done - at least I enjoy gardening & getting something done
                                
I think Benny had me worked out - I was very proud when he said that he wanted to keep spreading mulch when we were on the way home from school; it was only later on that I realized that it was because he didn’t want to do his homework, He is only 7 years old after al! Besides, Alissa is the sensible one of my kids, so I should not be so surprised!
So this was the first couple of days of my break so, I could now get into something that was fun – The Mighty Lamb!
So Mote it be
Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment