Followers

Saturday 11 August 2012

Tribalism in the Scooter-set


It always seems to be, that tribalism pops up wherever there is a choice between alternatives based purely on that most human of level (being a purely emotional choice)

Thus, in the motorbike world, you have Harley Davidson types & scooter riders & Mods & Rockers; the rest of us it’s whether you are from New South Wales or Western Australia to which footy team (or which code) you follow, all this guff will tend to dominate the way we think when we meet new people etc (I am sure you know the drill on this)

So as far as my motorcycling tribalism, well The Lamb & the Silver Surfer are 2 stroke, Italian (true) scooters, the Love Cub is 4 stroke, Japanese (mostly) & an underslung motorbike

The Vespa & Lambretta types really needle each other; 2 stroke types needle 4 stoke types, Italian & German & Japanese bike fans needle each other…

The question that I ask is: Should I hate myself for all these differences?

Typically I must; but hey, I am just too lazy to waste energy on hating things! So rather I will tend to appreciate the good in the differences, because well, it is a much nicer thing to do!

This happens across many levels for me – for example

That oily-sweet 2 stroke oil smell in clothes is both good & bad; that faint whiff of exhaust fumes when I am in the middle of a swing at work can really make a long rotation feel OK; on the downside, smelling of 2 stroke at a restaurant is very annoying, especially for the Child Bride (who is rather classy compared to me)

I suppose, when it all comes down to it, these differences are good & that is nice; if everything was the same, well we would be mighty bored. The “other” point is, that these things can be in a state of flux; your tribes change with circumstances; hence my quandary!

Thus I have been looking at some of the other features of this blogger page & it turns out that this site will give you a rundown of where people who are looking at this blog come from. So far, there have been Cub Lovers from USA, The Netherlands, UK, Germany, Vietnam, South Korea & Malaysia as well as Oz view this blog – that is pretty amazing in the scheme of things! All the differences between these countries & there are like minded nutters who are interested in the Love Cub (I will admit, there probably are a few people out there that do honestly think the Love Cub IS something different…)

I suppose the case in point would be seen in the the rather funky little web site called http://www.4-stroke.net/

This rather cool website is administered from Holland (different)

But, it is run by another Cub nutter (Same)

The website has a lot of English language articles & tech (same language)

But there a lot of Dutch language articles & technical stuff (different)

The funny thing is, even tho I do not speak Dutch; when I look at the technical diagrams (with Dutch annotations) I “get” it that is I understand the terms. If it was spoken I think I would be lost BUT the point I am trying to make is wow, there are actually a lot of commons rather than differences, from your first impressions.

The next big leap in this topic of the wonderful nerd-box world in which I write is that, it is not uncommon for people out there to e-mail & just send thru advice; which is really cool & shows that we are naturally helpful as a group, no matter how different we first appear.

This then, by a bit of a stretch, leads to a story… a very old story indeed.

As with all cool stories, this one involves a heathen god – Thor (after whom Thursday is named). One day, walking home after a hard day at the office (which for Thor was slaying the frost Giants in Jottenheim) Thor realised that he needed to cross a rather wide river (or he could take a detour that would add an extra day or so to his travels). The crossing point had a sole Ferry crewed by an ancient man called Greybeard (or, Hárbarðsljóð if you speak ancient Norse*) this Old Mate was actually Thor’s dad, Odin (also called Woden, after whom Wednesday is named), who appeared to be out to teach his boastful offspring a lesson in humility, and refused to take Thor across the river as he didn’t ask nicely, or, offer to pay for the privilege

The long & the short is, that after trading insults, the Ferryman refused to take the Mighty Thor across the river; meaning that the Mighty Giant Slayer & Protector of Humanity would have to take the long way home… sux to be Thor! BUT, on the up side, he learnt his lesson, as we all should from this story!

 I’ve always taken this story to mean that you may be the strongest (best/smartest/whatever) on earth (or, one of the heavens for that matter) but, by yourself, you are not much really, thus, if you are alone, you’ll be doing it tuff; if you are part of a team, well, life is a whole lot easier.

Thus I’d like to declare my allegiances to the following:

·         Vespa-Nutters
·         Lambretta-philes
·         Cub Fondlers
·         World Wide Hat Wearing Weirdos alliance
·         The ancient order of Gluten-freemasons
·         Nerdy Nice 'n Naughty people incorporated

OK, so I think I am now a member of all sorts of good & great & Mostly Harmless groups, that I should be able to continue to take on the task of re-building the Love Cub & hope the good Karma continues …  

Maybe after my next swing…

So mote it be

Leigh

*I actually found this out after using one of those online resources - I don’t speak ancient Norse either!

No comments:

Post a Comment