Followers

Sunday 5 August 2012

How to suck up to the wife:


OK fellow males of the species, I will let you in on something; My darling Child Bride does occasionally get the $h!ts with some of my hat wearing, home brewing, vespa riding, cub-fondling silliness. In order that she continues to tolerate me, well, to be entirely frank, I suck up to her BIG TIME!
One of the ways I do this is by cooking her some of her favourite foods. So, after (probably) soft seizing her Mighty Lamb, for Friday night dinner I decided to cook one of her favorites – Hainanese Chicken Rice.
Look for this stuff in the "Asian" section of your supermarket & use it to suck up to the Missus!

Simply put this is Poached chicken served with rice cooked in the broth of the poached chook; the broth is then used to make a light soup (although, I julienne some carrots & radishes & serve with some Asian herbs to garnish)
This stuff is tops. It is easy to cook. It tastes great, it is healthy (well, I reckon it is – it has vegetables in it after all!) AND, you can get heaps of flavoured rice (ideal for leftovers etc).
This dish is such a win/win thing!
Anyway, the kids like this, women like this, Men like this (because the women like this & it is easy to cook). You will like this! I get it from an Asian supermarket in Sydney, as the Asian sections of the OJ supermarkets don't seem to carry it.
This is apparently a national dish in Singapore (if there is such a thing), so you can appear very knowledgeable whilst hiding the sauce & flavour packet from the people you are trying to impress!
I use the packet in the picture; but there are others as well as recipes on the internet (I looked at SBS’s food Safari web site before deciding to stick to the packet mixes – I also cook the chook in a Slow Cooker (the crock-pot) for about 6 hours; so the chook is just about falling off the bone.
Anyway, after a nice dinner I then casually start a conversation with: D’you know what happened on your Lamberetta today…?
So Mote it be!
Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment