Followers

Saturday 19 May 2012

The Seat of power

Well, as you are probably aware, the Love Cub was in an absolute awful condition. The seat is no different (just look at the pictures in the earlier posts!).

It had been recovered by someone (back in the day), but the covering had also cracked & the foam gizzards of the thing were showing through.

After I started the stripping, I decided to take the seat to a local motor trimmer’s first up- just to get an idea of what was able to be done. I had looked on E-bay, but a mate at work had said that the seat he got was noticeably different, so I thought that I’d go with the “rebuild” option first.

Well after the school run it was straight into the motor trimmers.

Fortunately, it was not totally Fudged after all. He can definitely re-build it “you may notice a small change though” he wasn’t being facetious, but rather stating that he would not be able to get it to 100% of what it was when new; it was a tradie who was just stating the facts so there would be no surprises. Cool!

OK, so next, he had a bloody good look at the underneath the seat at the frame that it is built on. It turns out that there is a small plastic lip at the base of the frame that spreads the comtact area of the seat on the frame & it needs to be araldited to the seat, otherwise, the frame will just chop through the new trimming like it already had.

Next, was an interesting request; “If you sand the bejesus out of this inner section of the seat, my glue will stick like a charm & it will look a million dollars”

Then – What do you want exactly? If you bring in a picture I can make it for you; just use Google to find some pictures of what you want & bring them in & I’ll do it over a week or so.

Fantastic, I will have to do the strip & sand & araldite job on my next break after work!

The question is, do I go for the standard retro seat, or do I have a sexy custom jobbie created? 

Oh the wondrous possibilities!

I will definitely take some pictures of this job – although I am worried about the state of the bead that I have to araldite; the proof of that will be in the doing!

So Mote it be

Leigh

3 comments:

  1. Hi, can you add a follow feature please. I'm interested and would like to add your blog to my reading list. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Step Thru old son!
      I think I have enabled said feature; boy, I am really pushing the bounds of my IT knowledge now!

      Delete
  2. Lol. Im the same with my blog. I'll be your first follower then :)

    ReplyDelete