Followers

Tuesday 15 May 2012

The Stripper keeps on Stripping…

OK, after not starting her, I moved the Love Cub into the shed.
I looked at her & thought, “What the hell is it that I am doing here?”
At this stage I thought I would take a trip to a book shop to order a workshop manual.
Although they didn’t have one in stock, they were more than happy to get me a copy; it turns out that I had the last “new” Haynes workshop manual for a C50 Honda Cub in Australia (Until, of course, the next shipment arrives!). Although I was not too worried about the bike to begin with (as I had no real idea of how large the job at hand is, it was terribly reassuring to have a workshop manual on order, at least so I be able to see what is missing from the Love Cub!
FYI, the manual turned up on Friday & I picked it up on the way home after picking up the Boys from school (I bought the boys some donuts to keep them happy!)
Anyway, back to the strip-tease.
I started with the electrical harness. I have heard many people comment about the errors that they have made in a restoration job by randomly cutting the spaghetti that is a motor vehicles wiring harness. I figured that the best thing to do was to label the wires when I pulled them off of the frame. For this I used silver tape (the driller’s friend with texta writing of where the wires terminated).
The wiring to the headlights was a schmozle, & the cables running from the switch gear on the handle bars was in a bad way as well. I labelled what I could & hung the harness by the window in the shed (it is off the floor & in a relatively safe place)! I am not sure, but the wiring may be a problem later on, but I think I have done as much as I can to help myself on this count!
I had to disconnect the accelerator cable to free up the handle bar assembly; as well I had to disconnect the front break too. The gunk that was on the accelerator slide defies description, but does thick coagulated grease mean anything as a description?
I then removed the seat & petrol tank; the tank is rather tiny, but given the general economy of a Honda Cub, this is not a big issue. The Vespa has a tank around 7 litres & it can go 200+ kms, so a 4 litre Honda petrol tank should be able to get about the same mileage (altho I generally I hate imperial measurements as they are hard for me to think in, but considering the speedo is in miles per hour, I will relent in the Love cubs case).
We shall see what happens when I reach the end of this adventure. The tank & fuel line was chokers with crud – I am thinking that this was the reason for the Love Cub not starting (I can only hope!)
After the tank (the handle bars went with the wiring harness) it was the rear wheel. I found the break-link on the chain & pulled the rear wheel off quickly. The rear sprocket was razor sharp, further testimony to the lack of love on the old girl. As it turned out, the rear brake had seized, so I was glad that the cub was being pulled apart
Back wheel off & I am beginning to wonder what i have gotten myself in for! Look at the wonderful condition of the seat!

The front wheel followed next; the brakes were working here, however one of the pads fell off its shoe! I suspect that I will be doing a very good job of repairing these later on. The 2 wheels were OK, however, I will need to get them re-built as well (spokes are loose & there is no way in hell I will be trying to re-do wheel spokes!
Next I pulled off the broken exhaust pipe & started on the engine. Turns out that there were 2 nuts missing, so in theory, the engine could have dropped off of the frame (theory only). I supported it as I lowered it onto the floor; YAY, I think I am getting somewhere. I put the engine & gearbox on top of the mobile cupboard (from my old kitchen – I put castors on it so I could move it around the shed as I needed it, it has a vice bolted to it too – it is very handy!)
I took a look at the engine & that nagging doubt finally spoke to me… not only was I saying “Oh good grief, How am I going to get this back together now?”  & the next was the bleeding obvious “Hey, the fuel tap is broken!”
For those that don’t know, on a motorbike, the fuel tap takes fuel from the tank to the carburettor & then to the engine;  typically, there is a small tap (also known as a “petcock”) that has 3 settings (not just on & off) – being main, reserve & off. Off is when you are parked for a while, main is well the main tank, the reserve is the lowest point in the tank & usually has a small amount of fuel available so you can make it to a service station/home when you run out. It is a bad habit to ride on the reserve as it will mean that you are pushing your bike if you run out!
When I was looking at the top of the carburettor, I discovered that the slider was missing! Well it turns out that the small tab that controls the fuel flow has broken of… bummer. I wonder what the chances are that I can get a replacement?
The Carby - the fuel tap should be near the 2 hoses to the right of the piccie

And thus endeth the stripping for the moment. It turns out that the rest of the handlebars need a special tool – when I ended up consulting the Haynes manual, it even shows you how to make one (or at least improvise one). 

A Job for when I return from work!

So Mote it Be!
Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment