Followers

Wednesday 5 September 2012

Clique goes the Vespa-rider

When I was picking up Dan from pre-school I overheard a couple of Mums saying “gee, it’s nice to see the Dads picking up there kids; they seem to be a bit lonely because they’re always waiting around by themselves… You know, not talking to each other..."
Well, I actually enjoy being by myself from time to time, which, I assume is why I enjoy Vespa-ering & Love Cub tinkering, as a break from having to speak to everyone (typically at work!)
Those that know me will smile at the above irony, as i typically can talk under we cement with a mouth full of Marbles!
The other side of this ladies observation is that at soccer on the weekend, the dad’s all gather around to talk $h!t together!
So, with Dan doing his transition to big school, I thought that I’d bugger off to the train station & buy my Train ticket… I just didn't feel like talking to the other parents on such a fine winters day!
Whilst I was there, I was talking to the CountryLink guys about if the planned train on Sunday was in fact a bus; nope, a train, so I decided to buy First Class tickets (I am such a sell out, but for $15 dollars more, I’ll enjoy it!)
Then Old mate says (in a rather grim & “I’d rather not talk about this subject” way), “of course, that is unless someone decides to jump ... like this morning…”
“What!!??”
Then, he continued on in his grim (& rather unsettled) tone: Oh, about one person a week in NSW decides to end their life under a train, & this then causes a heap of flow on effects (as the police have to investigate the scene, Train drivers need counseling etc… & in fact, a chap attempted to end his life at OJ station a couple of weeks ago by jumping in front of the XPT.
He was saved because the train driver on the day was a very cautious driver who was always a touch slower than the other blokes coming into OJ Station & some railway civil works contractors managed to get him off the tracks before any harm was done… delayed the train & cause rather a lot of trouble I’m afraid… It turns out that this chap was just very sad & lonely & was caught in a rather downward spiral.
Gee, I’d never thought about being that lonely before  
Which brings me back to cliques – yep, sometimes it is good to be alone; especially when i am in the tinkering zone, or buzzing about on the Scooters - but gee I am glad that is not all the time! Thus, I now understand (perhaps) why the Mothers at pre-school were “concerned” about the state of the House Husbands on Kid Duty
Rather somber subject to mull over on the way back to the school; at least Dan was his usual “Too Cool for School” self & brought me back to my House Husband on Kid Duty happy place
I think I’ll try to stay in that happy place too!
So Mote it Be
Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment