Followers

Thursday 6 September 2012

Sand Blasted Cub

So the observant of those that read my ramblings who are interested in cubs will have noticed the lack of Cub-ness of late
This is for the good reason that I have had nothing real to say, hence so many off-topic posts!
Well today Cub-fanciers, we return to Planet Love-Cub with a vengeance!
As with most things when they drag out, one goes to the pub!
Which is exactly where I was (with Benny & Danny of course - who were rather happy having the traditional packet of chips & a fizzy drink) while their dad talks crap with a mate; Marty (a fellow  of the brother hood of Evil rock-lickers) when Dear Ol Dad rang. Of course, as this phone call related to the Love Cub, I missed the call because - I was at the pub & didn’t notice the ring tone or the vibrate alert… with this record of missed phone calls I often wonder why I have a mobile phone!
Anyway, when I got home, the lovely Child Bride said that I should return Dear Ol’Dads phone call.
“Yeah mate, the Cub is ready, call Graham on this phone number… Ya bike is ready”
Way cool, so late on Saturday arvo (again continuing House husband work), I had the love cub back in the back of the Rhonda the Honda!
The really cool bit was that I did this when I was out getting some emergency dinner supplies at the local supermarket & picking up some stuff from my in laws – so I was in no way missed.
Frame looked good

The head & cylinder looked good - Aluminium side cover not so good

Head & cylinder assembly, nice on the outside!


As for the results, well, the frame looked really good (the finish was a little course in some places) but good overall.
The engine came out a but rougher than I thought it would be-  it looked a bit pitted in a couple of spots; but it was clean & perhaps with a wire-brushing to get some of the aluminium surface back to scratch & dust off the corner areas it will look a bit better.
Next job after the additional wire brushing will be to get some heat resistant clear coat onto the aluminium bits on the engine. Hopefully that will smooth some of the pitting & get the look to where I’d like it to be
The primer I quickly sprayed on the frame & forks & handle bar shroud looked good too. I was really happy with this result. I will really have to consider wether I paint the Cub sky blue, or a sexy modish colour scheme!
Interestingly enuff, the primer (to my eye) hi-lited that there is a small dent in the guard that is far more obvious now, but I like the bit of personality… I may leave it as is, I will have to give this some thought , the idea of a complete straight restoration is rather cool; but then, the Cub is a 40 something after all & I think that one should look ones age; not like one of those joke Hollywood lizards that tries to look like a teenager there entire life (& rather silly at the same time)
You have to admit that I have a point here; Cary Grant, Sean Connery & their ilk had massive style for their age& class (always will) they were forced to, it was in the days way before plastic surgery was so bloody common … by comparison, Tom, Cruise, Charlie Sheen & their ilk are a pack of tacky, plastic classless wannabes! (OK, very, very, uber - rich wannabes) but I think it is kinda silly that 40 somethings are dressing & behaving as 20 year olds… as we said when I was a young bogan at Glenroi Heights Public School – Act Your age, not your shoe size…
Thus with my classic versus plastic personal style rant over, I may go for the “Classic” look – At least the Cub & I will look classic together! On the other hand, the Cub would look nice as a Total rebuild!
Gee I wish I could make my mind up on this!
The cool thing about the retrieval whole exercise was that it went so smoothly that when The Child Bride asked on Sunday arvo (before we went to the OJ train station) have you picked up the Love Cub? & she was very surprised when I said that I had! This included the can of undercoat that went onto the frame & forks!
I suppose this is when you know that the hobby is going well; you’ve had a bit of a win & the Child Bride is otherwise unaware of it!
So Mote it be
Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment